Jul 19, 2012

Delta

4 x 4" original oil
sold

I remember calculus classes in high school and college and writing notations with the Greek letter for 'delta' (of a triangle), meaning change. I love that something as old as a letter in the Greek alphabet can have meaning in my life today. I am feeling philosophical. The whole idea of 'change' has got me preoccupied: how have I changed? Why do I change? What do I need to change? What circumstances around me have changed/should change? What am I not happy with in my life that I can change? One of my favorite blues songs is by the singer/songwriter Jonny Lang and it's called Turn Around. Careful if you listen to it - you will be stomping your feet in no time. There is a lyric that goes "The choices you make might be mistakes, but it's never too late to turn around." Change. Yes. It is good. 



Here are my top likes for today's iPod shuffle while I was working:
Ani DiFranco - As Is
Ani DiFranco - Sorry I Am
U2 - One
Blood Diamond Soundtrack - Maddy & Archer
aha - Dark is the Night for All
John Mayer Live in LA - Slow Dancing in a Burning Room
Ray LaMontagne - Jolene
It was a mellow day. Those can be nice. 




It is moody outside and heavy, like rain is coming. Time for a book and a blanket! Matt is out of town this week so I am making 'chick food' for dinners. I should take that back...Matt eats whatever I make without complaint and does like my chick food. He is good to me. Here is what I made for dinner tonight, and it is in my 'Recipe Top Ten' brainfile. I hope you like it too:

Wheat Berry Salad
1 c. wheat berries (wheat berries are the whole, unprocessed kernel)
1 Gala apple, cored and finely chopped
½ c. Craisins
1 rib celery, finely chopped
2 scallions, trimmed and sliced
½ c. feta cheese, crumbled
1/3 c. cider vinegar
1 t. honey mustard (I mix ½ t. each of honey and mustard together)
1 t. honey
1/8 t. each salt and pepper
3 T. olive oil

Soak wheat berries at room temperature overnight in a bowl that is large enough to cover the wheat berries with 2 inches of water. Drain the wheat berries and transfer to a medium-sized saucepan. Add 3 ½ cups of water and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer uncovered for 45 minutes. It may need more water before the wheat is soft, so keep an eye on it towards the end. Try a wheat berry after 45 minutes and if it’s soft when you eat it, the wheat is done. The wheat berries shouldn’t look mushy – just puffier. Drain any remaining water and cool the wheat to room temperature. I like to do this step in the morning. At dinnertime, start the rest of the recipe: in a large bowl, combine apple, Craisins, celery, scallions, and crumbled feta. In a small bowl, whisk together the cider vinegar, honey mustard, honey and salt and pepper. While whisking, add olive oil in a thin stream. Add wheat berries and dressing to the apple mixture in bowl. Toss gently and serve.  Makes 6 cups
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------






1 comment:

Peeser said...

Mmmmm- that salad sounds GOOD!
I have loved watching all these tiny tulip paintings pop up each day. It's like a daily surprise of beauty! Thanks for making each day this week a little brighter!