Nov 11, 2013

Grace

40 x 60" original oil
sold

"Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool." Isaiah 1:18

Grace is a very special painting. It depicts redemption, change, and healing. We all need grace simply because we are human and living in a world of agency. We all need to feel the “divine help” and “enabling power” of Jesus Christ that define grace. The grace of Jesus Christ literally lifts our burdens, our spirits, and our demeanor, so the white tulips that are you and me have to also be elevated in the composition. The scarlet area is the pain, the mistakes, the past. I painted the reds to be very deep, dark, and triangular (a less friendly shape subconsciously.) At first I was worried that the white tulips were not painted to be pure white; they have some pinks, creams, grays, etc. in them. I decided to paint them with mixed colors because with the other colors in them, they are showing us the transition between scarlet and snow. They catch that moment in one's life when grace is taking effect. I hope when people see this painting they feel two things: 1) I am worth redeeming and 2) I give myself permission to stop punishing myself because I am not perfect. I have “streaks of color” yet I am beautiful.  


1 comment:

heidikins said...

This is beautiful, and I love love LOVE the explanatory paragraph. I think we are all always at some sort of transition place, and that can also be absolutely beautiful.

Love.

xox