Jul 29, 2013

Cornucopia

30 x 45" original oil
sold

I love this one. It has resparked in me a love of tulips. Summer has been busy and I've not done a "big tulip" in a while. After finishing this one, I realize I am no where near tired of painting tulips, and I feel I have so many more to come out of my brush. Thanks to my friend Linda for the title idea. It's perfect for the time of year and the fall colors in this piece. that hit of lavender in the background plays so well against the burnt oranges. 






Here are four progress shots showing the painting coming to life, and here are two detail shots of two of the diva blossoms. I piece shapes together and work wet paint into wet paint, so I get great blending. Don't be afraid to use color. That may sound obvious, but I see paintings of flowers where not a lot of colors are used. If you look closely at these white and yellow blossoms, you'll see reds, oranges, yellows, greens, blues and violets in the paint. A little can go a long way. 


No comments: