Jan 11, 2013

A Year Ago Today

1/11/12: wrist surgery
1/11/13
1/11/13 One year later and going strong!
Last year's surgery was the first time I have ever had anything like that done. I'm the kind of person who goes to the doctor like once every two years. It was scary to not know how it would all turn out. BUT, recovery was a snap and I am painting even more than I was a year ago before the surgery. I am so thankful for skilled surgeons. Let me also throw out two other thankyous: Number One, thank you to those who purchased art a year ago during my impromptu "Surgery Sale" that funded the unexpected procedure, and Number Two, thank you to my neighbors and friends who brought dinners for a week. 

Art is a wonderful thing. It doesn't exist until someone transforms an idea and raw materials, but then it is there forever to be enjoyed. My secret wish is that in another life I could be a composer like Hans Zimmer or Howard Shore. I'm fascinated with the thought of hearing melodies, harmonies, and different instruments in your mind and being able to write them into music. Painting really isn't that different though: instead of hearing a melody I seen colors and shapes, and instead of notes bringing it out I use brushes and paint. I think this link between music and painting is why I paint so much better when I have real music playing in the studio.

Speaking of real music!! Here are some tracks guaranteed to give me goose bumps and a major boost if they come on in a shuffle:
1. Chevaliers de Sangreal by Hans Zimmer
2. Sacred Pool of Tears by Hans Zimmer
3. Oogway Ascends by HZ
4. Like a Dog Chasing Cars by HZ
5. The White Tree by Howard Shore
6. Helm's Deep by Howard Shore
7. Forth Eorlingas by HS
8. Anduril by HS
9. Requiem in D Minor, Confutatis by Mozart
10. Amazing by Aerosmith
11. Monkey in the Moon by Alphaville
12. Vantage Point End Title by Atli Örvarsson
13. Intergalactic by Beastie Boys
14. I Miss You by Blink 182
15. (Everything I Do) I Do It For You by Bryan Adams
16. Sweet Southern Comfort by Buddy Jewell
17. Talk by Coldplay
18. Overcome by Creed
19. Remember the Name by Fort Minor
20. Fortune Days by Glitch Mob
21. The Saints Are Coming, Live from New Orleans by Green Day and U2
22. Roll Tide by Hans Zimmer
23. Mi'Ma'amakim by The Idan Raichel Project
24. Radioactive by Imagine Dragons
25. Turn to Stone by Ingrid Michaelson
26. Crossing the Bridge by James Newton Howard
27. London by James Newton Howard
28. Solomon Vandy by James Newton Howard
29. Goa by John Powell
30. Lost in the Echo by Linkin Park
31. Outro by M83
32. Count on Me by Mat Kearney
33. The Way You Make Me Feel by Michael Jackson
34. Madness by Muse
35. Given to Fly by Pearl Jam
36. Raza de Mil Colores by Ricky Martin (don't judge)
37. Woman in Chains by Tears for Fears
38. Until the End of the World by U2
39. I'mma Shine by YoungBloodZ
40. To Love the Language by Harry Connick, Jr. 
41. I Alone by Live
42. Pour Some Sugar on Me by Def Leppard
43. Love Bites by Def Leppard
44. Beautiful Child by Rufus Wainwright
45. The Moon and the Superhero by John Powell
46. Fate Has Smiled Upon Us by Marc Streitenfeld

Now go on iTunes and check these out. They are oh so good.

1 comment:

Peeser said...

SO glad that you're doing SO well after having surgery! I hope 2013 is a super year for you!

(And I think, in a way, creation of any kind is a similar process- for me, it's writing- trying to find just the right words in just the right order to create a kind of visual mental image, much like you do with actual images... Some day in the eternities, though, I would also love to experience the life of a composer and the life of an artist such as yourself!)