Feb 18, 2010

Ice Queens: Part I

8" x 16" oils

It's been months since I've painted poppies, and it may be the fact that Spring is around the corner, but I was in the mood to paint poppies today. These grew around the corner last summer and I only stopped once to photograph them. They were growing in front of a church and I was a little nervous about poking around a church with my camera when people were driving by, staring at me.
The great thing about being a painter is the freedom to bounce between subject matter material. I love it all.
The bits of red peeking through are my favorite parts so far. The hardest part today was mapping out the crinkles in the petals - something which will improve the next time I work on this piece.

4 comments:

Gwen Bell said...

So beautiful! The reds are my fave parts too, although, they are neck in neck with those graceful blooms.

Helen Read said...

beautiful! the reds attract me too ...

melissa peck said...

Beautiful new work! Thanks Cristall for your comment on my blog. I hope all is going well with you! Hopefully I will see you soon. Anytime you are in the neighborhood stop by.

Linda Popple said...

I just found your blog and look forward to visiting often. The poppies are just beautiful and the size of canvas is perfect for your composition. Just beautiful!