Dec 8, 2009

Dawn

18" x 36" oils
sold

It has been a long time since I began this painting, and it has changed many times. I finished it today and it turned out exactly how I saw it in my mind. Da Vinci is quoted to have said "Where the spirit does not work with the hand there is no art." I'm not sure if I completely agree with that statement, but I definitely think that where the soul does not work with the hand there is no art. Here is the meaning behind Dawn and the reason I painted it:

Life is hard. That's just a fact. If it's easy for you, just wait, and you'll get your own taste of reality. Now, just because life is hard doesn't mean it can't be great at the same time, that's not what I'm saying. However, there are times for all of us when we feel beaten down by our trials. Those are the long, dark nights. Dawn is a painting of a literal dawning of the day, but it is symbolic of the peace in all of our lives when we turn that corner and begin to succeed against all odds. The words scratched into the paint in the lower area of the water say "The dawn is coming, so I swim, I swim, I swim." It's all about never giving up!

I never guessed that when I began this painting, my mom would be overcoming a traumatic cancer surgery as I finished this painting. Dawn is more special to me now as my family and I deal with her health issues and hope for healing. Thank you to all who have wished her well. I hope this painting helps you deal with the struggles you have in your own life.

close-up shots above and below...




5 comments:

Erin said...

Awesome! I love the turquoise blue of the sky, so bold, and perfect for the dawn.

Sunny said...

Prayers for your mom in her recovery. I've been wondering how she's doing. The painting is great. I love the symbolism and meaning that went into this painting. You've definitely spent a lot of time with this painting to know how it felt. Beautiful. Hope the dawn is beautiful too for your family. Hugs!

Allanna said...

I, too, am sending good wishes and prayer to your mom and family.

And "Dawn" looks flippin' amazing.

Nicki said...

Hi Cristall,
Your landscapes are incredibly powerful, the emotion you are pouring into them is palpable. This post really struck a cord with me as my family and I have been through a very difficult month... but we are swimming forward.

I'm sorry to hear that you have had stress in your world and I do hope that your mom is recovering and healing from this difficult surgery. All the best wishes to you and your family.

Nicki

Kathleen said...

Beautiful Cristall, and I hope your mom is doing well. I love to see your soul in your work.